Really what I want to say is that I'm so grateful for my dad.
For as long as I can remember my dad has told me over and over again that I'm the smartest kid in the world. He tells me I'm beautiful. He tells me I'm brave. He tells me I'm strong.
I think I used to just think it was funny. I mean, obviously I'm not the smartest kid in the world. Many times when he was filling me with compliments, I didn't believe them. I wasn't sure if they counted since he was my dad and he was sort of obligated to think I was wonderful.
I think I'm beginning to understand the importance of a father telling his daughter these things.
Some girls don't know what it feels like to have someone love you so much that they think you're a little better than you really are. It is so easy, and sometimes tempting, to settle into a "this is good enough" mindset and I've wondered why when I come to that thought, I am able to gather the strength to say, "No, it's not enough." I've wondered where this confidence comes from that I deserve to not settle. I've wondered where the confidence comes from that in turning away, or being turned away from, something better will be out there. I'm not saying I never have moments (or days) of self doubt or insecurity. I certainly do. But deep down, I know I am lovable.
As I was thinking about this one day, I gradually started hearing all these familiar phrases in my mind. "You're the bestest little kiddo in town." "I'm so lucky to have the smartest daughter in the world." "I do love this little girl so much." And on, and on, and on. This is what I've heard over and over for 25 years.
Do you know the kind of power that has? It's a special kind of power that a girl can only get from having a loving dad.
I am one of the lucky ones. I really am.
I can't say thank you to my dad enough.
I love you Daddy.
![]() |
| Anna and Daddy |



This is a beautiful and true tribute. You knew exactly what to say.
ReplyDeletemhmmm. Amen sister.
ReplyDelete