This month I need to revise at least 5 IEPs to say that students will be taking the modified version of our state test (the PSSA).
I was feeling overwhelmed so I thought, "I'll just make a checklist of what I need to do for each kid. That will make me feel better."
Well, I'm not sure it helped because this is the checklist:
(*a NOREP stands for "Notice of Recommended Educational Placement" and it's the legal document that parents sign to indicate that they agree to whatever their child's IEP says)
1) check if it is already in his IEP
2) if it is not, call parents to tell them about the change
3) add it in under *EDITED* on page 2 and testing page
4) write a NOREP with “regular PSSA as an option considered” and wording about it being a no-meeting revision
5) print copy of IEP
6) print copy of NOREP
7) make 2 copies of whole IEP
8) make copies of pages indicating a revision (refer to #9 for # of copies)
9) distribute revised pages to the following people and get signatures
a. homeroom teacher
b. art teacher
c. music teacher
d. library teacher
e. gym teacher
f. Occupational Therapist?
g. Speech Therapist?
10) send 1 IEP home with NOREP (my supervisor would also like us to send a copy of the NOREP when it is sent home and then again when it is returned. give me a break. that is one step I am allowing myself to skip.)
11) wait for NOREP to be returned
12) make 3 copies of signed NOREP
13) send 1 copy of NOREP home
14) put 1 copy of NOREP and IEP in office
15) put 1 copy of NOREP and IEP in my file
16) send original NOREP and IEP to the administration building
17) Phew. That’s it.
The part that really kills me is distributing this minor, inconsequential to anything else, change, to ALL the teachers that work with this kid. I used to give them a whole new copy of the IEP, but it just breaks my heart to use that much paper, so I've decided to just give them certain pages and they can add it to their files. (Hopefully they have a file.)The other thing is that this is just a lot of paper to keep organized until it is all complete at step 16. And multiply it by 5 and you're positively swamped with papers. Yikes.
February is really looking to be a great month.
A checklist was a good way to start anyway; they say naming the feeling or describing the problem is the first step and I am thinking that strategy would apply here. Now you need to share this with your assistant and begin to train her on each part until she has the whole deal down. She will love it when she gets to know it : )!
ReplyDelete