Monday, January 17, 2011

operation recycle

Many of you have heard about my recycling dilemma.When I first moved into this apartment, almost 2 years ago, I asked where the recycling container was and was told there was no recycling. Hm.

For awhile, I stored up my recycling and then took it to John and Vanessa's house (about a 5 minute drive) weekly. Then John and Vanessa moved.

It now takes 15 minutes to get to their house and so the recycling started piling up for several weeks in a row. I also started to feel bad about completely filling up their containers each time I stopped by. And, in addition to that, I was confused about what the township actually recycles. John and Vanessa throw everything that is technically recyclable in, but when I looked it up, the township actually only accepts plastic #1 and #2 and cardboard and paper.

At this point, I had another idea. I asked my pastor at church if I could add my recycling to the church bin. Guess what she said? She takes the church recycling HOME with her. She said I could drop mine off at church and she'd take it home as well. I did that for awhile, but I just felt kind of bad making her transport all that stuff and I also felt bad leaving bags of gross containers in the church office. Some weeks I would come in and see that the bags from last time were still there. So, I stopped doing that.

Now, when my own recycling container is full, I put it in a big bag and plop it in my car. Sometimes it sits there for months. Luckily, it's winter time so it all freezes and doesn't smell, but it's still gross.

Then, I looked up places to drop off recycling online and found one on the Villanova University. That's not too far. I had an interesting experience when I went to drop off all my junk on January 2nd.

That day there happened to be a basketball game so I had to explain to at least 3 different police officers and parking lot guards why I wanted to be allowed into the V.I.P. parking area. They were nice and let me in, but then once I found the recycling bin, I felt pretty awkward pulling up and emptying my cars of bags and bags of junk. ALSO, it was ONLY for paper and cardboard. So, then I had to sit there and sort through my stuff too.

Clearly, that was not the solution.Today, I used the site 1800recycling.com to find a recycling center that recycles all plastic and paper products. Sad news. I have to drive 30 minutes away to recycle all my stuff. That's sad not just for me, but for the state of the world. If we want people to recycle, we have to make it convenient!

I've always wondered if one misplaced bottle or piece of paper "contaminates" a whole load of recycling. Or what happens if the containers aren't clean like the directions say they should be? What happens if I put Plastic #5 in with what the township does collect? Do they dump the whole load? Does someone sort through it all?

Did you know, greeting cards are an entirely separate "type" of recycling? They're not just paper?

It's so confusing.

It's so sad.

Not only do we throw away sooooo much stuff, but most of it is stuff that could be recycled.

Who knew this would be such a complicated endeavor?

image


2 comments:

  1. that boy...that boy...i love him. that's my next year's halloween costume. seriously. super-recycler could we call him?
    it is so, so sad. i'm planning on reading a book called "the story of stuff" which talks a lot about how much crap we throw away. it also mentions other more hopeful things, too, but seriously, how sad..and gross. i'm proud of you and your effort. it's people like you who make that story not so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that boy is absolutely adorable!

    i'm very thankful that i was raised in a home that did recycle. the thing is, its just not very convenient. & if i wasn't already in the habit of recycling from growing up, i have to say that it would be VERY difficult to get into the habit now when i have a million other things to be concerned about.

    but ya know what i like...it is sad, it is confusing & you always figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete