1) Pack a lunch to take to work.
I don't mind making lunch when I'm ready to eat lunch, but there is something about packing it ahead of time that I just hate.
There are so many factors to consider when it comes to packing a lunch. First, it has to be healthy, but filling. Second, it has to be very simple to make because I don't ever want to spend time any time on this task. It also has to be something that I can make the night before, store in the fridge and then pull out and eat without much fuss because I don't have a lot of time to be walking all the way to the teacher's lounge and heating things up. And finally, it has to be relatively inexpensive. I'm not going to spend $6 to buy a pre-made sandwich every day. (Anyways, I'd have to buy that every day.)
So, this has become a task that I really hate and whenever I don't have to pack a lunch, I honestly feel relieved. If anyone has any EASY, HEALTHY, INEXPENSIVE ideas for lunches, please let me know. (Also, please note that by easy, I mean that I am incredibly lazy.) I used to take Greek yogurt and granola and then some other snacks and that was pretty easy. But, then I decided that I could get to work quicker if I didn't try and eat breakfast at home, so now I take yogurt as my breakfast. I was taking bagels for awhile and bringing a little cream cheese cup to dip pieces in, but I'm wondering if the bagels are contributing to my afternoon tiredness (or am I just honestly tired?) and I need something a little more hearty.
Also, perhaps the worst part is that while I used to give myself a break once a week and just buy school lunch, I can't do that anymore because school lunch is just horrible. It doesn't taste good. It doesn't look good. It isn't good for me and it doesn't even fill me up. So, I can't even rely on it as a backup anymore.
Of course, I'm grateful that I get to eat three meals a day. And I'm also grateful that I have a job to take a lunch to. Couldn't you tell how grateful I am?
2) Picking out clothes to wear to work.
As some of you know, my assistant plans out her outfits (down to the socks...and probably undies too) for the entire week on Sunday (maybe even Saturday). I love the idea of not having to think about it all week. I don't think I really spend too much time on the task in the mornings, but it totally stresses me out and may be one of the reasons I don't get out of bed more quickly in the morning (...I said ONE of the reasons).
So, one time, I tried it out. I spent a good hour planning out what I would wear each day of the week. I took into consideration which day I had recess duty, and which day I had a meeting with parents. I even made sure my outfits were not too similar every day. It was a lovely week. I didn't change anything at the last minute. However, the next week, I couldn't bring myself to put in the time on Sunday night. It seemed like too much of a pain.
I've often attributed my disdain for picking out work outfits to not having enough clothes to choose from, but lately I've had this feeling that more clothes won't really help. I'll still have to go through the process of matching them up together. What would really help is a personal stylist. Or not wanting to look cute...that would help too.
--------------------------------------
My mom tells the story of how, filled with raging teenage hormones, she started crying one day when she realized she would have to wash her face every day for the rest of her life.
She seems to have moved past the pain of this realization and is now able to cope quite well with the difficult burden of daily face washing. She is my hope that one day, I will be able to move beyond feeling weighed down by packing a lunch and picking out clothes to wear and I will feel a thousand times lighter (from less stress, not because I'll decide not to wear clothes or eat lunch at all).
Goodnight. I have to go pack my lunch. I'll save picking out my clothes for the morning.
I've been taking turkey slices. Just turkey slices rolled up. I like Boar's Head Honey Maple Turkey, sliced thick. Sometimes I take a slice of cheese too. And then I put spinach, carrot and pea pods on the side. But I don't wash any of that. I just stick it in and then rinse it when I eat lunch at school. And an apple. Seems to work pretty well.
ReplyDeleteCan't help with the clothes thing. They just drive me crazy every day. :)