Hm. I wanted to think of a clever title, but I'm pretty sure that's just a dumb title.
We didn't actually go Easter egg hunting in math class. I wouldn't say Easter in a public school! How could you think I would do such a thing?! (Only kidding, I totally say Easter. I think I may have even said God once...and not in vain.)
But what I did do was print out this game called Metric Mania. There are about 30 different cards you can print and cut out and each card has a metric conversion question on one side. For example: 300 kg = ___g. Each card also has a number on it, 1-30. So, what you do is hide these cards around the room, and kids find them, one at a time, complete the conversion, record it on their recording sheet, show it to the teacher, and if they get it right, they can put the card back and find another one.
I mean, really, it's like a worksheet except the problems are all over the room rather than on one paper.
I thought, "Ok. Well, I guess that changes it up a bit. Kinda cool."
The kids though, were SO excited. The first time we played this it was the day after Spring Break and R said, "It's like Easter egg hunting!"
Well, yes, except you're solving math problems rather than getting candy!! They didn't even notice.
It's such a nice activity because everyone is working at their own pace and they get immediate feedback. I guess in a classroom of 20 kids, the line to have the teacher check your answer could get backed up, but it worked very well in my group of 2! Once my faster worker had finished the cards I put out for the day, we just stopped even though R had not completed as many.
Today they got the idea to hide the card somewhere else once they had found it. We got a little bit off task because they started spending more time looking for the cards rather than solving math problems, but I'm blaming that on the warm weather.
It feels like summertime and it sure is hard to get focused!
I plan on making a lot more versions of this game to use in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment