Thursday, May 19, 2011

moving on.

I'm going to move this summer.

I had been thinking about moving...closer to work...and then I found out that the place I'm living now is going to be torn down in the fall.

So now, I have to move.

I was excited about it. I am excited about it.  But I'm sad too.  I've been here for 2 years. It's the first place I've had that's been just mine.  It feels like home. 

I toured 2 apartments after school today and I just had a sad, empty feeling walking through them.  Partly it was the generic-ness of the places.  Partly it was that all I could see out the windows was parking lots (on 2 sides.)  Partly it was the wall-to-wall carpeting and standard blinds. Partly it was that apartment smell and dorm room feel when walking down the hallways. 

But partly, it was just that it wasn't home.  I guess it would have helped if I could really see myself there, but I have trouble with change...even if it's for the better.

I've been spoiled with this apartment. I keep saying that,  but it's so true. It's an excellent deal.  There's a parking space right by the door. I have a front and back door. I have a front porch. I have my own washer and dryer. I'm not in a huge complex.

But this is exactly what I do when something has to change.

After 4 years of complaining endlessly about high school and comparing it to being in jail, when it finally came time to graduate, I got all sentimental about everything from the teachers to the tile in the bathroom.

Come on!

So let's get real and remember the things that I will NOT miss about this place.

1.  the loud, booming and rumbling and crashing coming from Whole Foods at all hours of the night and day
2.  bugs,
3.  holes
4.  mold
5.  peeling, cracking paint
6.  thin walls between my neighbor and I
7.  location on a busy road and hearing traffic all the time
8.  cold, cold, cold in the winter
9.  hot, hot, hot in the summer
10.  lack of storage space
11.  see through blinds
12.  stove hood so dirty that it's impossible to clean

So. It'll be OK. I can move on. Fresh start.  I'll find something just right.

All photos are of downtown West Chester...where I plan to move.

3 comments:

  1. torn down?? oh my. don't forget the front (or is it the back?) door handle that doesn't work & keeps getting worse every time it's "fixed"! that was the perfect little place for you to start in & i know that the next place, no matter if there are carpets or standard blinds, you will turn it into a beautiful home that's uniquely you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13. Questionable neighbor living (?) in building behind apartmet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such nice friends you have, to help you remember things that you don't like.

    ReplyDelete