Saturday, May 15, 2010

outsmarting the internet

Many of you know that I watch almost all my TV on hulu.com. There are still commercials, but only one per commercial break rather that 2.5 minutes worth. I spend the time playing solitaire.

Just a few days ago, a little message started popping up above the ad. It reads, "Is this ad relevant for you?" And then you can click yes or no. I find it strangely satisfying to click NO for every single ad they show me.

Do I think I will someday end up with no ads at all? No.

Do I think that there is actually a person behind this getting frustrated because I say nothing is relevant to my life? No.

Does realizing both of these facts, take away my pleasure in "telling" the computer, the ad is not relevant? No.

So, I'll continue to do it. I'll continue to click "no, this ad does not apply to any aspect of my life," and then commence my evil cackling laugh when the next message pops up and says, "Thanks, we'll use this information to improve your experience."

It definitely solves the problem of being shown the same ad more than once during an episode.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always clicking to remove ads on Facebook and when they ask why I always say they're offensive. 90% of them are offensive, so I'm only lying some of the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, but I'm afraid it will never catch on. 53530

    ReplyDelete