Child Interviewer: Is there anything you want to say to the youth of the world?
Jane Goodall: Yeah. What I want to say to the youth of the world is never forget that every single day that you live you make a difference, you impact the world and you have a choice as to what kind of impact you are going to make. And that your life matters. And that you make a difference.
------
Makes me think... even when we are not actively trying to make a positive impact on the world, we are still making an impact...and it's probably not good. It kind of makes even just BEING, a big responsibility.
Where do people like Jane Goodall and Mother Theresa and Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr. come from? Did they really start out the same as me? Where do they get all their wisdom? And where do they get the COURAGE to do something about it?
Thanks so much for your blog, Molly. Your mother showed me how I could read it on her computer since Grandpa was in the bedroom getting ready for bed and I didn't want to wait til morning to read it.
ReplyDeleteI, too, am a fan of Jane Goodall and have one of her books about her spiritual journey. I couldn't help but compare your comments with something Ann wrote late in her life. She had such a profound way of sharing her view of life.
I think that Martin and Mother Theresa and the gang would say that you have all the wisdom and courage that they do. You just have to see it and accept it. And sometimes you do and practice makes perfect, right? or more perfect anyway.
ReplyDeleteEverybody likes you, Molly.
Twice I've tried to comment here & it just keeps disappearing. If it does it again, well then I just give up. But I love this. We DO have a choice & there are so many people who don't realize that - myself included sometimes. I recently heard an observation that the current generation doesn't feel like they have a meaningful life, thus they appear lazy - they do not realize how much CHOICE they have to the extent of meaning they can have in their life.
ReplyDeleteWell now, since that worked, I'll keep going! I think the courage comes from seeing no other possible way, from feeling like there is no other choice. It comes from setting aside our fears & doubts & insecurities for what we believe to be a greater cause. It's believing in something so much that we almost forget about our fears & doubts.
ReplyDelete